Deputy County Counsel
José Martinez joined the Office of the County Counsel in 2020. As a member of the Civil and Code Enforcement team, he represents the County in a variety of enforcement actions. As a member of the Civil Rights, Tort, and Employment Litigation team, he represents the County and its employees in civil litigation in state and federal court.
Prior to joining the Office of the County Counsel, José was an associate at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP. He previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Haywood S. Gilliam, Jr. in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
José’s professional expertise includes:
- Civil litigation
- Complex litigation
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2017
- Loyola Marymount University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
- Co-Chair, Bay Area Regional Chapter, Stanford Law School Alumni Association (2020–present)
- Santa Clara County Bar Association (2020–present)
- Associate at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP (2018-2020)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Haywood S. Gilliam, Jr. (2017-2018)