Deputy County Counsel
José Martinez joined the Office of the County Counsel in 2020. As a member of the Civil Rights, Tort, and Employment Litigation team, he represents the County and its employees in civil litigation in state and federal court.
Prior to joining the Office of the County Counsel, José was an associate at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP and a law clerk to the Honorable Haywood S. Gilliam, Jr. in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Before entering law school, José worked as a reporter in Los Angeles.
José’s professional expertise includes:
- Civil litigation
- Complex litigation
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2017
- Loyola Marymount University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
- William A. Ingram American Inn of Court (2021–present)
- Co-Chair, Bay Area Regional Chapter, Stanford Law School Alumni Association (2020–present)
- Santa Clara County Bar Association (2020–present)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (2018–present)
- Associate at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP (2018-2020)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Haywood S. Gilliam, Jr. (2017-2018)