Assistant County Counsel
Kavita Narayan joined the Office of the County Counsel in 2012 and was appointed a Lead Deputy in 2017 and an Assistant County Counsel in 2020. She oversees the Child and Family Protection team, which supports the Department of Family and Children’s Services in addressing and preventing child abuse and neglect, including in juvenile court dependency proceedings; the Public Safety and Justice team, which advises each of the County’s criminal justice and emergency response agencies; and legal representation of most of the offices in the County’s Division of Equity and Social Justice. Kavita also serves on the Office’s Conflicts of Interest team, which trains and advises County officials and employees on government ethics issues. In addition, Kavita advises the Board of Supervisors’ Public and Safety Justice Committee.
As a longtime member of the Social Justice and Impact Litigation team, Kavita has also served as a lead attorney in affirmative cases like People v. Purdue Pharma, et al., the Office’s first-in-the-nation lawsuit against the opioid industry; and County of Santa Clara v. Trump, in which the County obtained a permanent injunction blocking enforcement of former President Trump’s Executive Order on “Sanctuary Jurisdictions.” Kavita has also advised on County policies limiting participation in federal immigration enforcement; participated in development of the County’s Pay for Success initiatives; and counseled the Bail and Release Work Group, which spearheaded groundbreaking local bail reform efforts.
Kavita’s professional expertise includes:
- Criminal justice law and policy
- Consumer protection litigation
- Local policy development and reform
- California government ethics and conflict of interest laws (Political Reform Act and Government Code Section 1090)
- Immigration law and policy
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of Iowa, B.A. with highest distinction and with honors, 2005
- Staff Attorney at the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2010-2012)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Susan Illston, United States District Court for the Northern District of California (2009-2010)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Mary M. Schroeder, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2008-2009)