Lead Deputy County Counsel
Meredith Johnson joined the Office of the County Counsel in 2020. As the Lead Deputy County Counsel for the Social Justice and Impact Litigation team, Meredith oversees a team of attorneys who work on high-impact litigation, legislation, and development of policies and programs to advance social and economic justice for residents of the County and beyond. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Meredith represented the County of Santa Clara and the County’s Public Health Officer in litigation enforcing public health orders and defending against legal challenges to public health orders. Meredith is also a member of the Human Services Team and advises the Department of Family and Children’s Services and the Social Services Agency’s Office of Research and Evaluation.
Before she joined the Office, Meredith represented labor unions, workers, and nonprofit organizations at Altshuler Berzon LLP, a public interest law firm in San Francisco. Prior to that, she worked at the Impact Fund, where she litigated employment discrimination class actions, and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard A. Paez on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Meredith’s professional expertise includes:
- Affirmative litigation
- Appellate litigation
- Labor and employment law
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2012
- St. Olaf College, B.A., summa cum laude, Math and English, 2006
- Board of Directors of California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation (2019-present)
- Associate at Altshuler Berzon, LLP (2015-2020)
- Litigation Fellow at The Impact Fund (2013-2015)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard A. Paez, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2012-2013)