Deputy County Counsel
Ward Penfold joined the Office of the County Counsel in 2018. As a member of the Civil and Code Enforcement Section, he represents the County in a variety of enforcement actions.
Prior to joining the Office of the County Counsel, Ward was a Counsel at O’Melveny & Myers LLP, where his practice focused on white collar defense and commercial litigation. He also previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Dorothy W. Nelson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Ward’s professional expertise includes:
- Consumer protection law
- Complex litigation
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2009
- Harvard University, Ph.D., 2013
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Highest Honors, 2002
- Board of Directors, Dolores Street Community Services (2018-present)
- New Leadership Council, Family Violence Appellate Project (2015-present)
- Executive Committee, Litigation Section of the Barristers Club, Bar Association of San Francisco (2018-present)
- Counsel at O'Melveny & Myers LLP (2012-2018)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Dorothy W. Nelson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2010-2011)