Frequently Asked Questions

    The County Counsel’s Office provides the County with an efficient, cost-effective method of obtaining legal services for the protection of its programs, departments, agencies, and financial resources. County residents benefit from the reduced expense in litigation and legal advice, as well as from the attorneys’ in-depth knowledge of County affairs.

    The County Counsel’s Office only represents County agencies and the Board of Supervisors, and does not provide legal services to members of the public. Listed below are some links to legal agencies that may be able to assist in a domestic violence situation:

    To report suspected Child Abuse, call the Child Abuse Hotline at 408-299-2071.
    In addition, you can also call 2-1-1 or go to for a referral to health and human services.

    No. The County Counsel cannot provide legal services to the public. This office was established to provide specialized legal counsel to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County employees in all legal matters affecting the departments and agencies that constitute County government. If you are in need of legal advice, the Santa Clara County Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service available to help in locating a qualified attorney.

    ©2021 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.